Posted on April 14, 2023
The TBCo Tampa team recently completed a large knockdown air handler project and worked within the customer’s timeline and construction needs to provide a successful solution.
One of the towers in an expansive medical office building was being served by a single air handler with a 200HP axial fan. The existing air handler was over 30 years old and sourcing parts to keep the unit running was becoming difficult. The owner was also concerned with single-point failure using the 200HP fan.
The project presented some design and construction constraints:
- The existing air handler was installed in a built-up penthouse mechanical room with limited access for replacement - all components had to fit within a 6’ x 6’ access door.
- The existing unit had to be demolished and the new Temtrol unit installed during a 3-day holiday weekend.
- Units had to be delivered in under 15 weeks to meet the holiday shut down.
TBCo Tampa worked with the property manager and contractor to design and install a replacement air handler using a Temtrol ITF knockdown unit with specifications that fit the customer’s needs.
- New Temtrol ITF Unit – 120,000 CFM of airflow
- Cabinet – 3” R-24 foam injected double wall construction.
- 2 Fan Wall Air Tunnels – 18 total fans – 11 HP Toshiba ceramic bearing motors.
- Double wall fan cube with integral coplanar silencer for sound attenuation
- 6 – Chill water-cooling coils
- 6 – 40 HP Yaskawa VFDs
The TBCo Tampa team was able to successfully meet the tight timeline and construction constraints – the new unit shipped in 12 weeks and was installed in 2 days!
“The Temtrol ITF cabinet allowed for rapid knockdown and reassembly on a tight schedule. The owner had air moving by Monday,” said Sales Engineer, Tony Thompson.