Posted on January 13, 2023
What are variable frequency drives?
Variable frequency drives (VFD) are reliable electronic devices that control three-phase electric motor speed. They are used in building automation, industrial, pumping, agricultural, irrigation, and water/wastewater applications to control the speed of fans and pumps in various systems.
The payback period for installing drives is usually less than three years and can be less than a year.
Drives do more than reduce energy cost:
- Drives reduce fan noise and duct rumble, thus reducing tenant complaints.
- Drives reduce amps during motor starting, lowering demand charges; another significant part of the electric bill.
- Drives are less expensive to maintain than mechanical controls.
- Drives inherent soft-starting reduces wear and tear on motors, sheaves, belts, couplings, and other system components.
- Drives provide accurate and repeatable control of HVAC settings, eliminating frequent readjustments.
HV600 UL Type 12 VFD Solutions
What is UL Type 12?
UL Type 12 enclosures employ gasketed doors to seal the enclosure’s contents from airborne contaminants and non-pressurized water and oil.
- Constructed for indoor use to provide protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts.
- Provide protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt, circulating dust, lint, and fibers).
- Provide protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (dripping and light splashing).
The enhanced environmental protection of UL Type 12 is an integral part of HVAC applications, such as:
- Cooling Towers
- Data Centers
- De-centralized Installations
- Mechanical Rooms
- New Construction
- Non-Mechanical Rooms
HV600 UL Type 12 Drives and Packages
Yaskawa offers the HV600 in a variety of drive and drive packages that meet UL Type 12 standards, making them the perfect choice for applications like cooling towers, data centers, and mechanical rooms.
Contact your local TBCo branch for additional details.